Warner Bros. Tries to Bankrupt “Wizard of Oz” Collectors Marking the 75th anniversary of one of its crown jewels, “The Wizard of Oz,” Warner Bros. has launched a comprehensive, cross-divisional campaign encompassing theatrical, home entertainment and consumer products.
* McDonald’s will feature limited edition “The Wizard of Oz” toys in Happy Meals in over 14,000 locations throughout the U.S. and Canada from Sept. 20 through Oct. 10 at participating restaurants while supplies last.
* Amtrak will participate by displaying in-station and on-train signage, from November through December 2013, along with an adventure sweepstakes supported by online and social media.
* Cupcake baker contestants on Food Network’s show “Cupcake Wars” will be transforming their personal visions of “The Wizard of Oz” into gorgeously decorated sweet confections with an Oz-themed competition, to be aired Saturday, September 28, at 8 pm ET/PT.
* Gourmet Trading Company, the leading distributor of fresh asparagus in North America, will promote “The Wizard of Oz” for six months on 2.5 million bunches of asparagus with call outs about the release on hang tags, as well as guidance for consumers on how to connect via Gourmet’s Facebook page for a chance to win special prizes.
* Langer Juice Company, Inc. will place a premium on-pack commemorative offer on their juices, found in major retailers across the country. Interactive media support will accompany the promotion.
* The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Ad Council are partnering with “The Wizard of Oz” on a variety of TV, outdoor, radio and digital Public Service Announcements (PSAs) featuring iconic elements from the beloved film and focusing on child passenger safety. The PSAs will direct consumers to safercar.gov/therightseat and safercar.gov/protegidos and will run in donated media nationally.
* One Kings Lane, known for providing distinctive, one-of-a-kind items for the home, will be celebrating the anniversary with cinema memorabilia and other important objects of the era on September 20th at OneKingsLane.com.
* QVC(R) will celebrate “The Wizard of Oz” anniversary release with special programming and product. “‘The Wizard of Oz’ 75th Anniversary Celebration” is scheduled to debut on QVC(R) September 26 at 9 pm (ET), for commemorative collections of jewelry, toys, collectibles, books, DVD and beauty products that celebrate the classic film.
* Simon Malls(R) will host themed Simon Kidgits Club(R) events in 100 Simon(R) malls across the country during the month of September.
* Finally, “The Wizard of Oz” will be delighting millions of spectators and viewers across the country, as part of the iconic 87th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade(R), a world-famous holiday event, with a giant hot-air balloon and balloonheads of “The Wizard of Oz” characters.
Warner Bros. Consumer Products will also support the milestone anniversary with a robust licensing program consisting of more than 80 top-tier licensees.
Master toy partner Jazwares leads the way, followed by new licensees including Dylan’s Candy Bar, philosophy, PaperStyle, Julep, The Noble Collection and NECA. Other prominent partners supporting the film include Mattel, Madame Tussauds, Rubie’s Costume Company, Steiff and many more. Commemorative anniversary products will be available across a wide range of categories including apparel, jewelry, fine art, collectibles, stationery and paper goods, toys and games and personal care.